Hate Bitter Gourd? Taste Pavakka Paal – Bitter gourd in Coconut Milk Curry, you never say NO to bitter gourd again!
I’m always excited to find new unique ways to prepare Bitter gourd-Kaipakka-Pavakka since it’s my hubby’s favourite. And I must say, this is definitely a wonderful recipe, coz first and most importantly, it tastes delicious no bitterness.
The coconut milk combined with spices gives it a really interesting flavor that is very different from regular bittergourd curry. As you all know this veggie bitter gourd is a natural cure for diabetics and good for treating intestinal worms plus it’s has fewer calories and it is rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins.
Ever since I started making this pavakka paal curry, I have tried Lissie chechi recipe from Salt and Spice. I have tried this so many times and every time it turned out so well. I’ve been meaning to make this post for long time and when I wanted to share this recipe with a friend, I decided I should finally just blog it for you all!
Other Bitter Gourd Recipe You Might Like :
- Bitter Gourd /Bitter Melon /Pavakka /Kaypakka : 2
- Yogurt : 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil : 2 tbsp
- Onion : 1 medium (sliced)
- Tomato : 1 medium (chopped)
- Green Chillies : 2-3 slit
- Turmeric Powder : ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder : ¾ tsp
- Semi Thick Coconut milk - 2nd extract /Randampaal : 1 cup
- Thick Coconut milk - 1st extract /Onnampaal : ½ cup
- Mustard Seeds : ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds :1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies : 2
- Curry leaves :1 sprig
- Wash and slice the bitter gourd into round pieces and de-seed them.
- Apply yogurt and salt; keep aside for 15- 20 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated
- bitter gourd pieces till golden brown.
- In the same oil, splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add onions, statue till it turns to translucent and light brown in color. Reduce the fire to low and add all spice powders; sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, green chillies and sauté till oil separates.
- Add semi thick coconut milk and fried bitter gourd pieces. Mix well, taste and adjust the salt. Close with lid and cook it for 3-5mins. Now add thick coconut milk/onnampal and switch off the flame before it boils.
- Serve this delicious Bitter gourd coconut milk curry/Pavakka paal curry with rice and Enjoy!
Do give a try this Pavakka -Kaipakka Paal Curry – Bitter Gourd in Coconut Milk ..it’s so delicious that you forget its bitter too! Enjoy!