Unique and Healthy Ginger-Inji Rasam!
No sadhya is complete without rasam. Usually I use to prepare Tomato rasam, but this time for change I planned to prepare unquie, though healthy variation of rasam. Yes as the tile of the posts says… it’s Ginger -Inji Rasam. As you all know ginger has time-tested, digestion-friendly properties and has a lost of health benefits, then why not to include in sadyas to help aid digestion of the heavy feast.
This recipe I got it from my new neighbour. I tried couple of times and it’s a winner! So I thought I will post it before the onam for you all. If you are like me looking for making different variety of rasam for this Onam sadya then this recipe is for you.
Other Rasam Recipe You Might Like:
How to Make Ginger-Inji Rasam |Kerala Style Ginger-Inji Rasam:
- Ginger /Inji : 1 inch piece (crushed)
- Tomato : 1 large
- Green chilies : 2-4
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Whole Black Pepper :1 tsp (crushed)
- Tamarind Pulp : small lemon size or 1 tbsp
- Lime Juice : 1 tbsp (optional)
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
- Garlic : 2 cloved (crushed)
- Asafetida : ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- Ghee or Cooking Oil :1½ tsp
- Coriander leaves : a handful chopped
- Soak tamarind in ½ cup of warm water for 10-15 min and squeeze the juice. If you are using tamarind pulp then dilute with ½ cup of water.
- Heat ghee in a kadai; add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, when it's splutter, add asafetida, curry leaves and crushed garlic, green chillies and half of the crushed ginger.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a minute; add tamarind juice and 2 cups water with salt, turmeric powder, sugar and mix well and bring it to boil.
- Add the remaining crushed ginger, whole black pepper and bring to boil.
- When it boils, remove from the stove and add the lime juice (it's purely optional) and coriander leaves and close immediately with the lid for 10 -15 minute… this allows flavors to set.
- Serve hot or warm with rice and fried pappadam or enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Sign up, and get more recipes delivered directly to your inbox.