Well, now, I just want to share quickly with you, one of my favorites at my in-laws place.My MIL prepares wonderful varieties out of chemmeen/prawns and Chemmeen Manga Curry(Prawn Mango Curry) is just one simple delicacy which is sure to please anyone’s taste buds.
Prawns /Shrimp/Chemmeen : 1 lb/1/2 kg
Ginger : 1/2 ” piece
Garlic : 2 cloves
Green Chilli : 2, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves : 2 springs
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Red Chilly Powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil : 1 tsp
Semi Thick Coconut milk – 2nd extract /Randampaal : 2 cup
Thick Coconut milk -1st extract /Onnampaal : 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Coconut oil : 1 tsp
4. Switch on fire and bring this to a boil. Once boiling add sliced raw mango pieces and cook until mango pieces are tender and cooked through.Stirring occasionally.Otherwise there is a chance of getting coconut milk curdle.(Note : If mango is not sour enough, you can add a piece of kudam puli or a little tamarind extract while boiling the gravy.
5. Now reduce the flame to medium- slow, add the prawn pieces; check and adjust the salt. Close and cook it for 5 mins(approx) or till the prawns completely absorbs it.
7. In a frying pan, heat coconut oil, splutter fenugreek seeds, sliced small onions/ shallot, curry leaves, saute till it turns to light brown and add to the curry…Serve with piping hot plain boiled rice or with Appam, Puttu and Enjoy!
- Coconut milk can be replaced with grated coconut. Grind along with small onions-ginger spice mixture(step1), to a very fine paste and follow the rest of procedure mentioned above.
- Mango can be replaced with other souring agents such as kudam puli (gamboge) or tamarind.
- The taste of the curry depends on the mango, and the quality of the coconut milk. I prefer using fresh squeezed coconut milk.
- For prawn curry smaller prawns are more tastier than big one.
- Keep this curry for at least 1-2 hours before serving, so that the gravy absorbs all flavors.
Related Posts :
Padavalanga Chemmeen Curry /Snake Gourd with Prawns/Shrimp Curry
Chemmeen Ulli Theeyal /Prawns Shallots Theeyal
Chemmeen Muringakka Curry /Prawn Drumstick Curry
Chemmeen Thenga Pal Curry /Prawns Coconut Milk Curry
Prawn /Chemmeen Curry