Yes as title states, it’s Chicken-Murg Tikka. Easy-to-cook dish made out of chicken chunks; marinated in a blend of fragrant spice mix and yogurt and and then grilled on skewers. My first time tasting of spicy and fully flavored chicken tikka was from Kabul Restaurant in Chennai. It was so delicious, that I couldn’t resist for my second order 🙂
Chicken Tikka Recipe – Murg Tikka Recipe | Spiced Skewered Chicken Recipe
Preparation Time : 2-4 hrs or overnight is great
Cooking Time : 15 miutes
Serves : 4
Skinless and boneless chicken breasts : 1 lb /1/2 kg (cubed into 1″ pieces)
Kashmiri Red Chillie Powder/Paprika : 1.5 tsp
Ginger paste : 1/2 tsp
Garlic paste : 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice : 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter/Oil : 1/2 tbsp
Ajwain Seeds /Carom Seeds : 1/2 tsp + 1 tsp crushed with a mortar pestle
Gram Flour/Chickpea flour : 1/4 cup
Thick Yogurt /Hung Curd : 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Red Chillie Powder : 1/2 tsp or to your tolerance level
Tandoori Masala : 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper : 1/2 tsp (freshly ground)
Saffron : a pinch
Warm Milk : 1.5 tsp
Mustard oil : 2 tbsp
Red or orange food colour (optional)
Chat Masala : for garnish
Lemon & Onion Wedges for garnish
Salt to taste
How to make Chicken Tikka – Murg Tikka :
1. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients listed above of the ‘First marinade’, add the cubed chicken and mix well. Keep it aside for about half an hour.
2. Melt butter in a pan and add the ajwain seeds and gram flour and roast it in a slow flame for a minute till you get a nice aroma. (Note : Care should be taken not to burn the gram flour; the best way is to stir continuously and take the pan off the heat, back to the heat time and again). Allow this to cool.
3. Soak saffron in warm milk and keep it aside.
4. Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 5 minutes. Take them out and wipe them and set it aside or you can use metal skewers without soaking them in the water.
5. To prepare marinate : In a large blow, add the above roasted gram flour mix, crushed ajwain seeds,yogurt, kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste,freshly grounded black pepper and food color (if you are using it) mix well.
7. Add the marinated chicken cubes, and the saffron milk into above marinate mixture and mix well.
8. Arrange chicken pieces on soaked bamboo skewers or metal skewers;about 6-8 in each stick and set aside for around 2-4 hrs or overnight in the refrigerator.(Note : More marinating time the softer the chicken tikka will be.)
9. Place the chicken tikka skewers on baking tray covered with aluminum foil, brush with little oil on top.
- Do not overcook it or the chicken will become chewy.
- Temperature setting and cooking time may vary depending on oven so adjust the timing accordingly.
- Normally, the chicken-murg tikka that is served in is restaurant is fiery red in color, that is because red color is added to it, but i don’t prefer adding color rather; I would add more Kashmiri chilli powder for the color and it’s always better to avoid the color and eat it with the natural color.
Have a Good Day All!