Ottada -Oottada Recipe – Rice Parcel in Banana Leaf – Kerala Special
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 -30 minutes
Makes : 8-10 Ottada
Roasted Rice flour : 2 cup
Boiling Water : 2 cups approximately
Grated Coconut : 1 cup
Sugar : 1/2 cup
Salt a pinch
Butter : 1|2 teaspoon
Coconut milk /Thenga pal : 1tsp (Optional)
Plantain Leaves /Banana Leaves : as required (slightly dried)
How to make Ottada -Oottada – Rice Parcel in Banana Leaf – Kerala Special :
1. Boil water in a pan, add salt to taste.
3. Cover and keep aside for 10 mins. When the dough is little warm and easier to handle.
4. Knead well with your hand into a smooth dough, adding coconut milk, knead into a soft but firm dough, adding some more warm water if necessary. (Note : It should not be too thick or too loose. The consistency should be little looser than the chapatti dough.)
5. Spread half tsp of butter all over the leaf with the finger. Place lemon size dough in the center of the leaf, flatten it with finger.
6. Mix sugar and grated coconut and spread the filling on it. Fold the banana leaf in half. Tuck the ends of the leaf.
7. Heat a earthern pot /manchatti or tawa. when its hot, place the ada and roast them on both side at medium flame till the banana leaves turns brown and charred little. when ada starts to detaches from the leaf. Remove from the fire…Serve hot with cup of tea/coffee and Enjoy!