Meen Varuthathu Recipe – Kerala Fish Fry Recipe
Fish steaks : 5-6 (can use any fish,I used King fish)
Ginger- Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
Red Chilly Powder : 2 tbsp or to your spice level
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper Powder : 1 tsp
Lemon juice/Vinegar : 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil/Vegetable oil as required (coconut oil preferred)
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Salt to taste
How to make Meen Varuthathu – Kerala Fish Fry :
1. Clean and pat dry the cleaned fish using a kitchen tissue.
2. Whole steaks or cut depending on the kind of fish you are using.
3. Make shallow cut marks about 1 inch apart on both sides of large pieces to make sure the marinade seeps through.
4. Make a fine paste of all ingredients using either oil or bit of water.Apply the masala paste on the fish pieces one by one.
5. Keep the marinated fish pieces for 1/2 hour to 1 hour in refrigerator.
6. Pour required coconut oil (it will enhance the authentic taste) and when its hot tilt the tawa/pan in such a way that oil gets spread evenly in the tawa/pan.
7. Shallow fry the fish on medium heat with curry leaves; close it with a lid to avoid any spluttering out due to the moisture content on the fish and the marinade.
8. Flip the fish pieces carefully after 2-3 mins.
9. Pour little bit of oil over all the fish pieces and reduce the flame to low and fry for another 5 minutes.
10. Once crisp,remove from heat. Serve hot with rice and Enjoy!
- Adding too much oil makes the masala float into it and leaves the fish bland.So just add enough oil to shallow fry.
- Any kind of fish can be used for this,either the soft kind like tilapia,catfish etc or the firmer ones like king fish, salmon etc.
Check here for more Fish recipes.