King Fish /Ayikora : 500 grams /1/2 lb (You can use any kind of whole fish/fillets)
Shallots/Small red onions : 8-10 (chopped)
Garlic : 3 pods (crushed)
Tomatoes Puree : 2 medium
Green chillies : 2 (slit open lengthwise)
Tamarind paste : 2 tsp
Red Chilly powder : 3 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder : 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek /Methi seeds : 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Sesame oil : 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Method of Preparation :
1. Heat a large non-stick wok/pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp sesame oil when its hot.
2. Add mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds,when they starts to splutter.
3. Add the chopped shallots to the pan, and fry for about 3-5 minutes or till the onions turn light golden brown. (Note : Stir frequently to stop the onions burning.)
4. Add crushed garlic,green chillies,saute them for a minute.
5. Now add tomato puree,salt,turmeric,red chilly powder,cumin powder and saute for 3-5 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
6. Add 2 cups of water, tamarind paste and allow it to boil for 3 minutes.
7. Cover and cook over medium heat. once gravy consistency is achieved and oil shows up on top.
8. Add the king fish and turn the heat to medium high and adjust salt.
9. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the fishes are cooked, check occasionally.
10. Let the fish be well covered with thick gravy,when they are ready, turn the heat off. Serve with rice & enjoy!!!
Notes : Prepare the curry overnight and serve in the morning. It tastes Yummy!
Check here for more Fish recipes.