Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Makes : 1 cup
Ripe Tomatoes : 4 to 5 medium sized
Cardamom : 1
Sugar : 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1/8 tsp (optional)
(When you want to make in bulk : Makes 3-4 cups
Ripe Tomatoes : 2.2 lb /1 kg
Water : 4 cups /1 ltr
Salt : 1/2 tbsp (optional)
Sugar : 2 tbsp (optional)
How to make Tomato Puree – Homemade Tomato Puree :
1. Select nice red colored ripe tomato. and cut the top slice from the stem side of the tomatoes. Give a cross cut only on the skin of other side of the tomatoes.
2. Boil water in a big pan, when the water starts to boil, put all the tomatoes in the water and leave for 5 minutes. Switch the heat off and cover the pot, let it stand for another 2 minutes.
3. Remove the tomatoes from the hot water and put them in a pot with cold water and leave it for 5 minutes.
4. Chop the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds and the juice part.
5. In a pan add bay leaves, cardamom and chopped tomatoes, saute and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat let it cool, put the cooked chopped tomatoes in the blender and make into puree.You will get a thicker puree.
7. In a saucepan, add the olive oil and boil the puree with salt and sugar (if you are adding).You can even stop with this step and store.
8. Add vinegar and allow it to boil in simmer it for about 30 – 45 minutes on a medium flame till it reaches its desired thick consistency, stirring occasionally. Though boiling (after the puree is made) is optional it helps in shelf life of the tomato puree. Allow the puree to cool down completely.
9. Strain through a strainer and store the puree in clean bottle or in zip log bag in the fridge to later use. The other way is to pour the puree in icecube trays and freeze it.
- If you want u can use the seeds and juicy portion of the tomatoes then omit the step 4.
- The puree without seed and juicy portion will be darker red than the one with the seeds.
- You can store refrigerate this for upto 2 weeks.Use clean spoon everytime.
- You can skip adding bayleaves and cardamom if you don’t perfer. Adding them will give the puree a boost of flavor.
Check here for more How-To