Aviyal – Avial Recipe – Kerala Sadya Recipes | Mixed Vegetables in Thick Coconut Paste Recipe
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Yam /Chena : 1/2 cup,
Drumstick /Muri/ngakkaya : 2 nos,
Cluster Beans /Amarakaya :1/4 cup
Snake gourd /Padavalanga : 1/4 cup
Carrot : 1 cup
Cucumber /Velarikka : 1 cup
Raw mango /Pacha Manga :1/2 cup or curd : 5 tbsp
Turmeric powder /Manjal Podi : 1/2 tsp
Coconut grated /Thenga chirakiyathu : 1 cup
Green chilly /Pacha mulaku : 5 nos
Cumin seeds /Jeerakam : 1/2 tsp
Curds : 3 tbsp lightly sour, beaten (if using raw mango, do not use curds)
Curry leaves /kariveppila : 1 sprig
Coconut oil : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
How to make Aviyal – Avial Recipe – Kerala Sadya :
1. Peel and cut vegetables lengthwise into 2″ pieces long (stick shape).
3. Wash, cover and cook vegetables with 1/2 cup water, turmeric powder and salt to taste till the veggies are half cooked. (Note : Do not over cook the veggies, since many different kinds of veggies are used, take care, Keep adding the vegetables to the boiling water according to the cooking time, the longer cooking vegetables first and the quicker ones last.)
4. Make a small well in the middle of the half cooked veggies and pour the ground coconut paste into it,Cover the pot and cook for 5 mins.
- Coconut oil which gives aviyal the aroma and taste, hence do not substitute.
- Since you are using a variety of veggies, use only a little of each as it will all add up to quite a bit when you cut them all up.